Sunday, June 26, 2011

Trying to Stay Busy

Todd has been overseas for more than a week (see link in sidebar).
I used to put off doing fun things while he was away because 1.) I felt outnumbered and 2.) I didn't want him to miss out on things.  Then I realized, *he's* overseas.  We are the ones missing out!  So, I should go ahead and do fun things. So this year my goal is to keep everyone as busy as possible.
Here's a sampling of what we've been up to:
17th: Airport. On the way home, stop at Borders to get free books. Old Navy, Wal-mart, AC Moore.  Exhausted.
18th:  Homeschool Co-op Year-end picnic, even though we didn't go to co-op this year.  We will go next year.  Good chance to make friends.
19th: Father's Day picnic at my sister's, since we already celebrated Father's Day and birthday with the other Grandpa on the 15th.
20th:  We went to the beach with some friends in the afternoon.
21st:  Stayed home to get some housework and paid work done.  Should have waited a day... Soccer in evening.
22nd:  Intended to go strawberry picking, rained out.
23rd Rained out.  Orthodontist, Library.  Went to soccer anyway!
24th Rained out.  The Mayor went to a birthday movie with Grandpa. 
25th Rained out.
26th:  Birthday party for the Princess and the Mayor, NOT rained out despite ominous clouds.  Thank you GOD!
This week:  Rec basketball, Extra Tae Kwon Do, Library Summer Reading Kick-off party, physicals for 2, Overnight with friends for 2, Soccer, church.  Week after:  Mayor goes to camp, family picnic at Schroon (at least I think we are still on for this, even though B-I-L has a broken leg).  The girls will start volunteering at the library, have volleyball camp, go to the ballet...and at the end of the week, The Girl has her Green Belt I test at Tae Kwon Do.  Daddy comes home on a Monday.

Yep, I think I have succeeded in keeping us all busy for these three and a half weeks!  It doesn't actually end there: we will have a very busy summer lined up with more weeks of camp, summer enrichment classes, and the math lessons that I have not let them stop doing.  I finally stopped saying "we'd better not sign up for stuff because we don't know if we will be here..." Now I say, "If we leave, we leave, it's not that great of a loss to have spent $35 on rec programs."  I'm letting myself and our kids invest in life here like we live here and are not just passing through.  I hope I'm wrong.  But for now, it's okay.  Good, even. 

No comments:

Post a Comment