Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Rose Garden- The Yaddo

 I'm happy that I remembered to go to The Yaddo this year before the short season of blooming had passed.  We were here two years ago on the Giant's birthday, so now I have a mental peg to hang it on, that helps me remember when to go. Even though Todd was getting ready to leave the country the next day, we took a couple hours last Tuesday to visit this peaceful, free retreat.

The Yaddo was the home of Spencer and Katrina Trask, and after Katrina's death it became a retreat for artists.  Only the gardens are open to the public, but there is a mansion where writers, choreographers, filmmakers, sculptors and others come to work.

I don't have much to say about the visit, I just wanted to share the pictures.  I will tell you that we didn't pick the flowers that you see us holding or wearing; we learned last year that you can find the spot where they dump the clippings and get some nice flowers or petals from it, so that's what we did.


If ever you find yourself in the Saratoga Springs, NY area in mid-June, I hope you will put this spot on your list of places to visit.  Unlike a botanical garden, nothing here is labeled- so a visit is not primarily an educational event, although one could make it so.  It's an opportunity to enjoy the scenery, it's romantic, and it's quiet.  No responsibilities.  In fact it's enjoyable when the flowers are out of season, as well as for picnics, the koi pond, and the water feature (although that's awaiting repairs at the moment). 






























No comments:

Post a Comment