Saturday, April 30, 2011

Crayon Engravings

For our second week of study on Ancient Rome, we all did crayon engravings.  Simple project!
I am beginning to notice that I do more projects at the beginning and end of the unit.  Must be I am just all full of excitement right now!



Crayon engravings are made by covering a piece of paper with crayon (of course).   Some of us scribbled randomly while others crayoned clear patterns. 

Then, we made a mixture of black tempera paint and dish soap, and painted over the crayon.  Some of us did two coats.  We let that dry over night.

The next day, we scraped away our design with an opened paper clip, showing rainbow colors underneath.

I'm sure others have done these more elegantly, but it was a fun simple project for this week and I didn't even have to borrow any parts from my mom.
Next week:  Roman standards.  Silver and gold spray paint are involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment