Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Fun

We've missed the snow!  Last year, living in PA there were a couple of big storms, but it wasn't a winter full of them.  The schools and events there canceled so easily, that we got very frustrated when it was just some big, wet flskes, or even just a rumor, that got the closings started. 
This year, we had heard that NY was going to have a long winter.  It seems to me that winter gets a later start every year, so I had my doubts about that prediction.  Snow season is now here in full force though, and we like it!
The Sleeping Giant, otherwise known as the Girl who Hates to be Blogged, actually insisted that I post these pictures of her snow creations. Being the mean mommy that I am, I wouldn't give them my spray bottle for this project.  So they used some bottles out of the recycling bin.
I don't know why, but they did these facing the house across the street.  It's a good thing those neighbors' house is set back from the road!  They might not like these faces peering in the window.

Do you think I can count this as art class?
They even monogrammed some of them.
Unfortunately, they are getting covered over today by another 3-6 inches, which will be followed by even more tomorrow.  I am not the one who has to go out and clean it up most of the time, so I am excited about the storms.  Todd is out now stocking up on some essentials- along with the rest of the town, I imagine. 
 In other snow news, we had a birthday sledding party this weekend.  It seemed risky to me to plan an outdoor birthday party because it could have been too cold, or too warm and soggy, or we could have had weather that would prevent people from wanting to drive for it.  Having already postponed the party twice due to holiday conflicts and sickness, I certainly didn't want that to happen again!
 



 We took the risk though, and planned to go sledding at a park we'd never been to (for sledding) before.  Honestly I don't know why I do these things.  I heard some moms talking about this hill near our old house, and I had hoped to get there before the party to check it out, but didn't.  Boy, were we pleasantly surprised!  The rest of the year, this spot is a soccer field (bowl).  Now, the town has groomed it into a great sledding hill!  They don't just "let" you sled there, they put up signs and encourage it!  Fun!

We all had a great time, but the highlight for me was when The Princess hopped onto a sled and took off, no coaching or cajoling required! 
 She went sliding down on her belly with her mouth wide open, laughing!  We didn't do much sledding last year and she was somewhat timid, so I didn't know she would be so enthusiastic.  I hope this doesn't mean that she lacks risk aversion like the Girl, but I do love that she grabs life by the horns!

No comments:

Post a Comment